The past week, I've been in a DIY mood. I know, so ambitious of me right? I've been wanting to get a new wreath or hanging decoration for our front door because we still have our holiday wreath up from January. Yesterday I was talking to my neighbor Gretchen and she told me about a wreath she made using scrap fabrics. Unfortunately i haven't sewed enough to have scrap fabrics, but fortunately i was so excited I just had to go out and make it happen!
First, I went to google to find out where I could get scrap fabric. DI popped up! I zoomed over to DI and found a large piece of lite green fabric for $1. Can't beat that! At least now I had one color decision. Because I can be impatient, I decided I didn't want to go from store to store looking for scrap fabric so I went over to Joanns.
I got 4 18X21 pieces (they come prepackaged this way) of purple and grey fabric. And they just so happened to be on sale for $1 a piece!
Now making the wreath!
First step - get a hanger and bend it into a circular shape. Here are my results:
It was fairly easy, but then again I had Evan help me with his strong muscular hands! ;)
Then I took all this:
And turned it into this:
I decided on 7" by 1 1/4 "....roughly of course. Most people do these with scraps so I wasn't too OCD about them being all matchy matchy.
And then the fun part! Tying them onto the wire. I think a lot of people would be fine going about it in a very random fashion, but I like things to be more even. So I started with all grey and then I filled in with purple and added a few splashes of green.
Let me tell you, I was very nervous throughout this process. After I had tied for awhile, I thought "this just ain't happenin' " I decided that I was too ambitious and that this was not working out. It just didn't look right. But I had gotten that far, so I kept pressing forward.
Here are my results:
I added the purple bow, but I'm still trying to decide if it works with the look.
Overall, I'm pleased!
All at the cost of $5!
The key for this wreath is to have a lot of ties. It really started coming together when I got so many on there that I had to smoosh them nice and tight.
I guess I'll venture onward :)