Friday, June 15, 2012

Getting Crafty

The past week, I've been in a DIY mood.  I know, so ambitious of me right?  I've been wanting to get a new wreath or hanging decoration for our front door because we still have our holiday wreath up from January.  Yesterday I was talking to my neighbor Gretchen and she told me about a wreath she made using scrap fabrics.  Unfortunately i haven't sewed enough to have scrap fabrics, but fortunately i was so excited I just had to go out and make it happen!

First, I went to google to find out where I could get scrap fabric.  DI popped up!  I zoomed over to DI and found a large piece of lite green fabric for $1.  Can't beat that! At least now I had one color decision.  Because I can be impatient, I decided I didn't want to go from store to store looking for scrap fabric so I went over to Joanns. 
I got 4 18X21 pieces (they come prepackaged this way) of purple and grey fabric.  And they just so happened to be on sale for $1 a piece!

Now making the wreath!
First step - get a hanger and bend it into a circular shape. Here are my results:


It was fairly easy, but then again I had Evan help me with his strong muscular hands! ;)
Then I took all this:

And turned it into this:



I decided on 7" by 1 1/4 "....roughly of course.  Most people do these with scraps so I wasn't too OCD about them being all matchy matchy. 

And then the fun part! Tying them onto the wire.  I think a lot of people would be fine going about it in a very random fashion, but I like things to be more even.  So I started with all grey and then I filled in with purple and added a few splashes of green. 
Let me tell you, I was very nervous throughout this process.  After I had tied for awhile, I thought "this just ain't happenin' " I decided that I was too ambitious and that this was not working out.  It just didn't look right.  But I had gotten that far, so I kept pressing forward. 
Here are my results:



I added the purple bow, but I'm still trying to decide if it works with the look. 
Overall, I'm pleased!
All at the cost of $5!

The key for this wreath is to have a lot of ties.  It really started coming together when I got so many on there that I had to smoosh them nice and tight. 

I guess I'll venture onward :)

1 comment:

  1. It's a VERY cute wreath - imagine having purple in it...who woulda thunk it?!?! :-)

    ReplyDelete