Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes!

As I'm writing this post, I'm listening to the song "Changes" by David Bowie. If you haven't heard it, go listen to it right now. Seriously, go. It's good to hear at least once in your life! 
Anyway, the past couple months I've been itching for some change. Which is funny because i've had a lot of change in my life in the past six months.  But the kind of change i've been itching for is with my hair. I've mentioned it to Evan at least once a month since we've been married but it's been more of a joke.  I actually never really thought about coloring my hair because I really like my brown hair. It just seems like me. I've been talking about a cut. A drastic cut!  I guess I have wimped out on that one for now.  The thing that finally motivated me to get into action was looking through a lot of pictures over the years.  As I looked at each year, going back at least five years, I realized I hadn't really changed my hair ONCE. I've had it the same length, give or take a few inches, and the same color, give or take a blonde stripe :), for the entire time! These pictures prove my point:

pic name

pic name

Left, 2008. Right, 2012 Point PROVEN!
I've been saying to myself, "You have every reason to just do it. You have had the same hairstyle ffffoorreever!" So, this morning I woke up and I made a haircut appointment at some random place because I had a free haircut coupon.  As I continued to get ready, I knew that I just wasn't ready for the hair cut.  My hair grows SO SLOW so when I do decide to cut my hair I need to plan on having it that way for awhile. And, i really do need to be mentally prepared because it isn't the kind of decision that should be impulsive.  Once its cut, its cut.  I have cut my hair before, in fact the good majority of my life its been shoulder length or shorter, and i've loved it! But i think its because it took me so long to get it to this length that I am so resistant.  Anyway, wow i am rambling!
So as I thought about all this, I decided I would just get my hair trimmed. Disappointment ran through my entire body. I wanted change gosh darn it!  Then it hit me, I have never gone blonde. That would be a big change!! I've always wondered if i could pull it off. My sister has gone all sorts of colors and can pull each one off, so maybe i could too.  I am brunette through and through so I haven't ever considered blonde an option.  Especially since it is so damaging! But the nice thing about hair color(and hair in general) is that if you do something and hate it, there is a good possibility that you can get it fixed or that in time it will just go back to the way it was!  So. Blonde it was!
I cancelled my free cut at that random place and called up Suggestions Salon ( I wasn't going to go to just anybody for such a drastic change!) I think that I was meant to go through with it, because Michelle Keddington (my stylist) had an opening within the hour! Nothing was stopping me now. I was nervous pretty much the entire time.Especially when i found out that because my hair was so dark, it wouldn't be all blonde and it wouldn't be very light blonde. it would take a couple times to get the look i was going for. So it would probably initially turn out funny looking.  But I did it anyway. And as it turned out, IT WAS SO WORTH IT and I LOVE IT!

P.s.
Something has gotten into me! I worked out at a gym today for the first time in over a year. It felt great! Can't wait to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment